For this installment of Member Spotlight, we had a chance to chat with June Seminario! Check out our interview with her:
- Name: June Seminario
- Occupation: Regional Director, IHG Operations Support
- Years as Skal Member: 15 years
- Hometown: I consider Philadelphia my hometown because I lived there longer than anywhere else. June currently resides in Georgia.
- Why did you join Skal? When I was a hotel General Manager, my boss was a Skal member and we hosted a meeting. I liked the group of people and thought it would be a great way to get some incremental hotel rooms. It was a great way to network and grow relationships with like-minded yet diverse industry professionals.
- What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment to date?
Paving the way for other women in the Hospitality industry. For instance, I was the first female General Manger in a large Management company and was held to a different standard. I had to outperform everyone to be successful. I have mentored several young women in the industry and I am also proud of their success.
- If you could plan a vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
My Bucket list is very long and I’m working my way through it. If money and time were no object, I would be staying at one of our 5-star Six Senses Resorts in Thailand, Fiji or Vietnam.
- Tell us more about your job…what do you do every day? I manage a team of field based Managers in western USA, Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America. They support our hotels for all things operational, with 1 goal: to improve Guest Satisfaction. I spend most days with my team individually on site or virtually, coaching and ensuring each Manager is the best they can be and have access to every available tool and resource to provide to our hotels.
- What’s your favorite tip for someone in our industry? If you don’t have a passion for the Hospitality/Travel industry, it can beat you down. Love what you do and take advantage of every opportunity and relationship you have. Sometimes we fail to recognize all there is to offer.
- What sorts of trends do you notice in the hospitality/travel industry in the next five years? Our business is moving faster than ever. Technology is going to change everything as we know it. Our newest reservation system will allow guests to reserve a specific room, check in remotely, order amenities prior to their stay and use their phone as their room key. You will be able to control everything about your stay from your hotel TV: food, beverage, internet, mood, etc. As hotels companies continue to develop more brands, the guest will become more targeted. Hotels for health conscious travelers, hotels for millennials, hotels for guests that want to stay a few weeks and hotels for guests that only stay a few days, hotels for super luxury and for minimalistic guests.
A special thank you to June for her advice and insight!
DID YOU KNOW? There are now no geographic restrictions as to which Skal Club you join. If you have an affiliation to a different city, you can join that Skal Club.
To Learn More About Skal: Visit https://www.skal.org/